Samsung has recalled more than 660,000 top-loading washing machines because a short-circuit can cause the appliances to overheat and start a fire.
“Samsung has received 51 reports of smoking, melting, overheating or fire involving the washers; 10 of which resulted in property damage. Three consumers have reported injuries due to smoke inhalation,” according to an announcement with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
The washing machines were sold at Best Buy, Costco, The Home Depot, Lowe’s and other appliance stores nationwide and online at Samsung from June 2021 through December 2022 for between $900 and $1,500.
The recall includes 663,500 top-loading washing machines with super-speed wash. The machines are while, black, champagne or ivory in color.
The model series numbers are WA49B, WA50B, WA51A, WA52A, WA54A and WA55A. The model and serial numbers are found on the washer’s label attached to the inside of the top lid.
Model numbers and serial number ranges on the recalled washers are:
- Model number WA49B5105AV/US, serial number range 01J457BT700001W through 01J457BTB00111H
- Model number WA49B5105AW/US, serial number range 01J557BT700001J through 01J557BT700010D
- Model number WA49B5205AW/US, serial number range 01HH57BT300006X through 01HH57BTB00932W
- Model number WA50B5100AV/US, serial number range 01J257BT70001B through 01J257BTB01232B
- Model number WA50B5100AW/US, serial number range 01J357BT770001L through 01J357BT700010F
- Model number WA51A5505AC/US, serial number range 01HA57BR700003P through 01HA57BTB00346F
- Model number WA51A5505AV/US, serial number range 01H257BR600003R through 01H257BTB02018L
- Model number WA51A5505AW/US, serial number range 01GY57BR600026P through 01GY57BTB00269W
- Model number WA52A5500AC/US, serial number range 01HB57BR700003Y through 01HB57BTB02968X
- Model number WA52A5500AV/US, serial number range 01H357BR600006A through 01H357BTB01820Y
- Model number WA52A5500AW/US, serial number range 01H457BR600003X through 01H457BTB01503Y
- Model number WA54A7305AV/US, serial number range 01H557BR600003P through 01H557BR800650T
- Model number WA55A7300AE/US, serial number range 01H057BR600001H through 01H057BTB05872Z
- Model number WA55A7700AV/US, serial number range 01H157BR600151Z through 01H157ZT700005K
Samsung said owners should check whether their washer’s software has been updated; and, if not, stop using the washer until the software is updated.
“All Wi-Fi equipped washers that are plugged into a power source and actively connected to the internet will automatically download the free software repair over-the-air when they are connected to the internet. Consumers who have not connected their Wi-Fi equipped washer to the internet should contact Samsung for instructions on how to download the software repair.
Consumers whose washer does not have Wi-Fi capability or who otherwise wish to receive a free software repair without connecting to the internet, should immediately stop using the washer and contact Samsung directly for a free dongle to plug in and download the free software repair.”
For more information, call Samsung at 833-916-4555 between 8 a.m. and 12 a.m. EST daily or go to the website and click on the recall at the top of the page.